I bet this isn’t the first time you are hearing about TikTok and it definitely won’t be the last. TikTok came out in 2016 and in 2019 it became the most downloaded app. The app has over 800 million active users worldwide who spend an average of 52 minutes a day on the app. Needless to say TikTok doesn’t seem to be going anywhere so if you haven’t hopped on the bandwagon yet, now is the time.
Myths About TikTok
There are a lot of misconceptions about TikTok and who the platform is for. I want to start out by dispelling some of these myths.
TikTok is only for young people: while 41% of users are between ages 16 and 24 there are people of all different ages using TikTok. 59% of users aren’t those ages and there are over 800 million people on the app. That means your future clients, customers, readers, community, etc. are out there waiting to find you.
I need to be a professional video editor to use TikTok: no way! Trust me, I am in no way a professional videographer or editor, and neither are the majority of people on TikTok. The app makes it easy to create videos that look beautiful. PLUS people aren’t scrolling for the perfect video. What they want is the great content you have to offer. Whether that is sharing how you remodeled your home, what goes into running your business, or mindfulness tips.
I can’t grow anymore because I am too late to the game: first of all, you should never approach anything in life with this mindset. Because with that mindset, nothing would ever be created! You are unique and your voice is too. You are never too late to the game. There is always room for more people and ideas.
How to get started:
Getting started on TikTok can definitely feel intimidating, which is why I have created 5-easy to follow steps to get you started.
- Download the app and create an account. You will want to make sure you select the same name as your other social media profiles if possible. That way people know where to find you. Include a short description of what content you will be sharing and be sure to include your website and a profile picture.
- Spend a day or two using the app, see what type of content you enjoy, and brainstorm 3 video ideas to create.
- Follow these accounts to stay up to date with the latest on TikTok and really learn how to grow.
- Create an introduction video. Film a little intro including who you are, what you do, and what you’ll be sharing on TikTok. It should only be 15-30 seconds long and don’t put too much pressure on yourself to make this perfect. Progress over perfection is my favorite motto from Marie Forleo and it definitely applies here.
- Commit to creating 1 video a week or 1 a day (whatever makes sense for you). Like other social platforms, consistency is key on TikTok! The way the algorithm works is that the more you post, the more likely someone will see your videos. Many big TikTokers post multiple times a day, but I know your time is precious and you may not have that bandwidth right now. So start small and be consistent.
Now that you have a plan in action, I want to see the results! If you create an account or a new video let me know in the comments below. I can’t wait to see what you create and cheer you on.