Salt Lake City just extended their stay at home directive through the end of April. With another couple of weeks (at least) of quarantining, I wanted to share some distractions that may help you get through this time and maybe with a little joy. These are not things to do to help build your business, because I honestly think we need a break from feeling like we have to be building the next big thing or turning our side hustles into full-time jobs. If that is something you want to do, you can click here for a list of resources to help you grow your small biz, or sign up for my Social Media Starter Course here. BUT if you need a little downtime a few distractions, I hope this list is helpful.
15 Ways to Distract Yourself in Quarantine
- Read a book: this will always be my number one recommendation because I love being able to escape into a book. If you need book recommendations, I am constantly sharing in my books section, but if you haven’t read Verity or The Idea of You, now is the time!
- Needlepoint: I have been wanting to take up needlepoint for a long time. Almost a whole year went by with me talking about how I wanted to try it out. FINALLY, I bit the bullet and bought all the stuff to work on my first project and it has been so fun. Not only am I learning a new skill, but it is so relaxing to sit down, listen to a podcast and just stitch.
- Bake: it is no secret that I have been baking up a storm. I recommend trying your hand at some recipes that you are unfamiliar with or that take a little extra time.
- Movie Night: step up your movie nights by getting extra cozy. Bring out all the blankets and pillows, put on your favorite PJs and hit play. But not before getting your favorite movie snacks out. I have been loving popcorn with this seasoning on it and baking cookies straight from the tube for movie nights.
- Color: I have challenged a few of my friends to a coloring competition. We printed off coloring book pages from here and are all doing the same one. Whenever I start saying “I’m bored” I take out my colored pens and work on it for 15 minutes.
- Deliver Happy Mail: I try to write a few letters each week to pop in the mail to friends and family. You never know how much a letter is going to bring joy to someone and it’s so fun getting some in return. I also think this a great time to use those miscellaneous cards. Leftover Christmas cards or random thank you notes you’ve never used come in handy during quarantine.
- Plan a game night: I am sure you have been on countless video chat calls and they are probably getting a little stale. If that’s the case, plan a game night! I recommend doing one of two things. Download the app HouseParty. It has games built-in for you and your family/friends to play and it’s free. Download Zoom and Jackbox Party Games. We have been playing Drawful with our friends and love it.
- Binge a podcast: if you haven’t listened to my podcast, you can check it out here. A few others I love are Dr. Death, Be There in Five, Bad on Paper, and Unimagined Life. All of them are totally binge-able.
- Pamper Yourself: a little spa day at home is definitely necessary. I have been religiously doing my nails once a week and taking baths several times a week. Now is the perfect time to do a foot peel, I did this last summer and it was much needed.
- Host a virtual wine tasting: another fun activity to spice up your usual video chats. Get a group of 4-6 people and have everyone pick up 2 bottles of wine (everyone gets the same kind) and share what you think.
- Watch TV: there is something to be said for mindless TV during quarantine. My top recommendations right now are: Tiger King, Love is Blind, How to Cover Up a Drug Scandal, Ozark, Little Fires Everywhere, Big Little Lies, and of course, Gilmore Girls.
- Create a vision board: you can either do this with a big poster board and magazine clippings or if you don’t have those supplies, create a new board on Pinterest and fill it with all the things that are inspiring and bringing joy to you.
- Get a little woo: if there was ever a time to be connecting with yourself and the universe this is it. Get yourself some tarot cards and follow this amazing lady to learn all about crystals and the universe, and get a journal and start writing.
- Listen to a virtual concert: artists have been getting creative with figuring out ways to still play music and make a little money during quarantine. Tune in to a live stream with your favorite band. The best way to find these is to simply follow bands and artists you love on IG or sign up for their email list and they will let you know.
- Become a plant mom: plants truly bring joy to me and I am not alone in this feeling. Now is the perfect time to get started or if you are already a plant pro maybe try propagating a few of your plants. Here are some instructions. P.S. if you don’t want to leave your house to get plants, you can order online from The Sill, that’s where all my plants have come from and I LOVE them.
I hope this list helps you take your mind off of the news or all the things you could be doing but just aren’t in the mood for.