After a quick weekend getaway to Denver last weekend, I quickly realized that seeing this city requires more than a couple of days. This weekend guide to Denver, Colorado only scrapes the surface of all the places to explore. Every corner is filled with beautiful coffee shops, street art, local breweries, and endless restaurants. I’ll be back to experience more of what this awesome mountain city has to offer.
Quick Tips and Things to Know in Denver
- Public transportation can easily take you to and from the airport and save you a lot of money. A Lyft ride costs about $40 to the airport.
- If you want to explore nearby towns or ski resorts, you will want to rent a car.
- The city is walkable! On a nice day you can walk all around downtown easily and wherever you can’t walk, you can easily take a Lyft.
- It gets chilly! It snowed on my second day in town and I was so glad I brought my winter jacket.
Where to Eat & Drink in Denver
- Little Owl Coffee: Great for a quick cup of coffee in a small minimalistic space.
- Nixon’s Coffee: The perfect work spot with excellent coffee and a delicious chai.
- Shake Shack: Need I say more? I had been craving Shake Shack prior to this trip, so stumbling on the Denver location seemed extremely serendipitous.
- Illegal Petes: If you are looking for an inexpensive and delicious burrito, this is the spot. Bonus: They also have margaritas under $5.
- Denver Biscuit Company: Word to the wise: do not go here if you don’t want to immediately follow your meal with a nap. Everything from their biscuit sandwiches to house bloody mary was delicious.
- Sputnik: I have to be completely transparent. I only went here to get a corn dog, but man was it the best corn dog ever. Check out Sputnik for delicious bites, vegan options, and a great cocktail.
- The Market: Located in Larimer Square, this delicious deli has endless options. Go here for a quick breakfast or afternoon sandwich.
What to See & Do in Denver
- Denver MCA: Check out the Denver Museum of Contemporary Art on a wintery day to warm up and you won’t be disappointed. Don’t forget about the coffee shop on the roof!
- Street Art: Everywhere you look in Denver, there is art. Take time to just wander around downtown and see the beautiful art around every corner.
- Dairy Block: This new indoor market has everything you could possibly need, from coffee and flowers to hot chicken. Be sure to go to Sunday brunch and bingo if you get a chance.
- Denver Central Market: Stop by this indoor market for fresh oysters and the yummiest chocolate truffles.
- Shop Modern Nomad: You’ll find unique items here for everyone. The Nomad Market has jewelry, clothing, and all your interior design wants.
Photos by Camber Weiss.